Saturday, March 4, 2023

A conservation trip to Tau Moana/South Five Fingers Peninsula, Resolution Island, 10-16 January 2023

There are 4000 endemic animal and plant species at risk of extinction in Aotearoa/NZ – our biodiversity is in crisis. Biodiversity is one of the 9 planetary boundaries and has already been crossed in much of the planet. It’s something we as individuals can do something about. Genetic diversity and a stable biome are critical for our continued survival on this planet. Our local projects are in Fiordland and the premier one is the Tamatea/Dusky Sound Restoration Project, a world class project to restore one of the most intact ecosystems on Earth. Our group, the Southern Conservation Volunteer Network is privileged to be part of this.

 

 

   Dusky Sound from the southern part of 5-Fingers

 

                         Trap lines on the 5-Fingers Peninsula
 

We were a party of 4 including Rusty who went to the NW hut, Gavin to Mt Clerke Hut, Sally to North 5 Fingers and Stanley to South 5 Fingers. The trip started on the 9th in Te Anau at the Pure Salt base where there was a briefing and a gear sort. Then after lunch, we went to the DOC depot in Caswell Street for the quarantine check. Sally and I spent a very pleasant afternoon with Ken Tustin of lost Moose fame and then stayed overnight with Sue and Simon.

 

At 10.30 am on the 10th, we got away in the Te Anau Helicopter for our respective destinations. The weather was perfect and Fiordland was a sight to behold. Fraser dropped off my gear at the South 5 Fingers hut and then Sally and I at the North 5 Fingers. It was decided that I would spend half a day with her to learn about the ALDs (auto lure dispensers) and camera work. My task was to service 223 traps and 40 trail cameras over a week. About lunchtime, I left along line 72 by myself. This line was the most challenging one being on the western side of Tau Moana with many up and down into steep creeks and valleys. Sometimes the track was overgrown and difficult to follow. I found the remains of 3 stoats in the traps there. At least 2 appeared to be juveniles.  The camera work was easy enough and one had to work out a sequence so nothing was missed. The day was humid and warm. Eventually, I got onto line 74 which I serviced. Once I got to line 76, I walked down to the South 5 Fingers Hut getting in at 1945 hours. I then had to get familiar again using the Inreach – got a message off to Heidi at the base and a Nescafe Irish coffee for revival.

 

   Fraser, our pilot on the flight in.


   Rusty, Gavin and Stanley

      Our drop off at North 5-Fingers Hut

 

The 11th was another gorgeous day. I was on the trail by 7.30 am along line 79. I did all the traps and cameras from 7923-7901, lines 80 and 7801-7820 and 8211-8201. However, I was unaware that there were 2 offline cams at pt 164 at the south end of 5-Fingers and the “Creek” cam. Found stoats were found in 7909, 8002 (fresh) and 7815. All were bagged and labelled as were the ones the day before. The reason for retrieving the predator remains is for DNA analysis. I washed in a creek and had a visitation by 2 eels probably attracted by the smell of blood. ALD 7905 was 'sluggish' and I could not hear the ZIP motor but some mayonnaise drip was seen and the syringe was 16 MLS. I got back to the hut at 1645 hrs. Cooked an Irish stew for dinner with potatoes and broccoli from my garden – delicious!

 

 

Looking east from 5-Fingers





 

Did not sleep well and got up at 5.00 am to do some writing and have a leisurely breakfast. Off at 7.30 am, along line 77 and set up the live traps. Spent quite a while on trap 7705 replacing the faulty ZIP motor with my spare and then the mayo syringe. Once I got to 7701, I swung south onto line 78. Had problems with several ZIP motors which would not activate. Went down to 7820 and then doubled back onto line 83. In 8304 found a decomposed stoat. Got onto line 79 and then back to the hut. Had some nourishment and then back to 7925 which I had missed. Could not find 7602 and sent a message to Rusty. Got it the next day. Put up more flagging tape as it was easily missed.

 

 

South 5-Fingers Hut


 

On the 13th I set off along line 76 and checked all the traps 7619-7626, then backtracked to line 74 which I had done previously. Had a soak in one of the western creeks (no eels). Did 7521-7509 and carried on to line 84 back to 7619. Found a stoat in 7509. Started doing the traps along 76 lines 7619-7610. Found a stoat in 7617. An InReach message from Rusty tells me there are 2 offline cams at the south end – groan!

 

Another restless night and a late start at 0750 hours along line 77. Did 7501-7508 and returned along the same line to the hut. After a snack, I  set off to do 7604-7609. Found a stoat in 7608. Back to the hut for a late lunch and check hut maintenance.

 

 



Powilliphanta augusta

Photo of an ALD mayo dispenser beside a DOC200 trap. There is a trail camera pointing at it.

On the 15th got off early at 0630 hours to beat the heat. Went down line 79. The plan was to get the 2 missed off-line cams. At 7803 I left the track and went down the TR through a scrubby forest following the GPS. Found the creek cam and serviced it. Flagged a route back up to line 78 but it needs improving. The start is near trap 7804 with two vertical pink flagging tapes. I'd suggest if it's a long-term placement that an access track is lightly cut. Went down line 80 and followed deer trails to point 164 and serviced that. Walked back along the line to the hut – a 5-hour round trip. After lunch, I sorted out the Thrush cams. The one near the hut had moisture in it and I took it out with me. Put the spare camera on 7501 and the one from there to 7710.

 

 


   View from the hut
 

Spent the rest of the day cleaning up.

 

On the 16th I was ready and packed from 9.00 am. The pickup was scheduled for 10 am and the heli arrived at 10.15.

 

In total we caught 25 stoats – Stanley 10, Sally 8 and Rusty 7.

 

 

Birds seen:

Kaka, fantails, brown creepers, kereru, tomtits and bush robins. Unusual bird calls I was not able to identify

 

Acknowledgement:

To Maria and Sean of Pure Salt for your vision, energy and perseverance. To Rusty for organizing and implementing the project. To Heidi for holding the base. To Gavin, and Sally for their incredible feats of endurance and enthusiasm. To the Te Anau Helicopter team for looking after us on the flights in and out. To DOC Te Anau, especially Peter McMurtrie for your support.

 

 

 

 


No comments: