Saturday, January 16, 2016

A day in the Life of the Top Waitaha Hut

-->

I slept poorly all night apart from the first few hours, thanks to half a Temazepam tablet. My earplugs muted the drum of rain on the roof but an urge to go out to a non-existent toilet was not conducive to sweet dreams. I hung on till 8.30am when I knew I had no choice but to climb wearily out of my warm, sleeping bag. My companions were up and I could see no one was keen to visit the sodden world outside our cosy hut. A cup of my favourite Greggs Raspberry Mochaccino set me in a more positive mood. This was day 6 of our Wanganui River, Bracken Snowfields, Katzenbach, Ridge, North Seddon Col to Ivory Lake trip with some brutal 13-14 hour days.




My body craved sustenance and I’d already demolished a can of Watties Baked Beans and sausages I found in the hut the previous day. This is not my favourite food but the label promised ‘Rich in Protein’, ‘Excellent source of dietary protein’, ‘Source of iron’ and most important ‘Sustained energy’. After a breakfast of muesli, I donned my parka, stripped off my longjohns, put on my crocs, grabbed a shovel and headed out into the rain.  




The Top Waitaha Hut felt more like the Shanker Hotel in Kathmandu that I had recently vacated. I say ‘felt’ as the reality is somewhat different. It is painted an orange roof and the exterior walls are olive green. The interior walls are painted a yellow/green colour and the doors forest green. Inside are 6 bunks arranged along 2 walls. There is a small alcove by the door, a cupboard and along the north side a tin bench top. When I arrived I found a few tins of Watties baked beans and sausages plus a packet of potato cheese. Still it felt like heaven in the pouring rain and we were glad to be over Seddon Col. No one saluted me like the security guard at the Shanker Hotel, which was a let down.

At lunchtime the rain stopped and the river was running high and uncrossable. No one regretted our enforced stay, least of all me so I continued to eat, drink and rest. Later in the day the barometric pressure started to rise promising a better day to come. However we were not looking forward to the ‘bush-bashing hell’ to Moonbeam described in the hut book.
I amused myself photographing the damaged legs of my companions. Matthew was clearly the winner for injuries. But all good things come to an end so I wearily climbed back into my sleeping bag.


Stanley Mulvany
Invercargill 16/1/2016

No comments: